Mesenteric Artery Duplex
To identify a hemodynamically significant stenosis of the arteries carrying blood to the intestines and correlate GI symptoms with the presence of intestinal ischemia. Also to monitor arterial blood flow after vascular reconstruction to the mesenteric arteries.
- Abdominal pain and cramping associated with eating.
- Diarrhea of unknown etiology.
- Significant unexplained weight loss.
- Abdominal bruit.
- Unexplained gastrointestinal symptoms.
- Postoperative evaluation of vascular reconstruction.
NPO 4 hours prior to the exam. If the patient is diabetic and unable to abide by this preparation, we will work with the patient. Please allow the patient to eat. Suggest to the patient that he/she eat as light a meal as possible and foods which are non-gas producing. If the patient must take diabetic medications just prior to eating, please ask them to bring the diabetic medications to the appointment. Preferably schedule the patient in the AM.