We advise patients to contact their insurance company prior to appointments for information regarding coverage of varicose vein treatment. Call the Member Services number located on your insurance card.
- Verify that you have active insurance coverage.
- Obtain co-pay, co-insurance, and deductible amounts.
- Verify the diagnosis meets medical necessity for procedure/testing and that procedure/testing is covered by the insurance company.
Ask the insurance representative the following:
- Are there any waiting periods for pre-existing conditions or exclusions on your policy for treatment of varicose veins?
- What the benefits are for procedures/testing performed in a specialist office (diagnosis and procedure codes are listed below).
- Does the policy require a referral from the primary care provider prior to coming to Muskegon Surgical Associates? If yes, contact your primary care physician prior to coming to the office.
- Does the policy cover prescription compression stockings for venous insufficiency/varicose veins? All patients will require prescription compression stockings.
We will provide a financial estimate outlining your treatment plan. The final cost may vary and the patient may owe more money or be due a refund at the conclusion of treatment. The estimate will only include services that are rendered by Muskegon Surgical Associates. Other services if provided by the hospital will not be included. A 50% deposit of the total estimate not covered by your insurance is due before any appointments are scheduled. The remaining balance is due 7 business days before the treatment/visit date.
Procedure codes for Insurers
Venous Duplex Valves & Perforator Pre-Evaluation
Procedure Code: 93970 Diagnosis: Varicose Veins – 454.8 Pain – 729.5
Radiofrequency Greater Saphenous Ablation/Perforator Ablation Procedure
Procedure Code: 36475 Diagnosis: Venous Insufficiency/Varicose Vein – 459.81/454.8
Venous Duplex is ordered after each radiofrequency or ablation procedure
Procedure Code: 93971 Diagnosis: Superficial Thrombophlebitis post vein procedure – 451.0
Procedure Code: 37799 Diagnosis: Venous Insufficiency/Varicose Veins – 459.81/454.8
Procedure Code: 36471 Diagnosis: Varicose Veins -456.8/454.8
Ultrasound Guided Sclerotherapy
Procedure Code: 76942 Diagnosis: Varicose Veins – 456.8/454.8